Thursday, February 22, 2007

8 Passenger Seating

So, if you have 4 kids already, and 2 adults, and you plan on adding 2 more kids, that gives you 8 passengers total. Interesting note: most minivans and large SUV's built in the last 15 years max out at 7 passengers. This includes our current family car, a 2001 Honda Odyssey.

And by 7 passengers, I mean 7 seatbelts. This is the Era of Seatbelts, and everyone in the car must wear them. No more rolling around in the back of the car like so many McDonald's wrappers, like we did when I was a kid. No more running up to the front to scare the driver (sorry Mom), no more hiding on the floorboard and feeling the heat through the floormat, no more lying on top of the middle row seat to roll back when the car starts from a light.

Ah, the contusions.

As a parent, though, I love seatbelts. If they made 5-point harnesses for normal cars, I'd get those as an option. And so, if I'm gonna put 8 persons into an automobile, I'm gonna need 8 seatbelts to go with it.

Aye, but there's the rub. Guess what seats 8 folks (or more) very nicely? A van. And guess what kind of vehicle my lovely bride has forbidden from ever darkening her driveway. Ditto. So no vans.

Which leaves us minivans or SUV's. There are 8 passenger SUV's; Honda (dear, beloved Honda) even has one, the Pilot. But the Pilot has about 15 cubic inches of cargo space behind the 3rd row, enough to bring home one (1) frozen pizza, and possibly the receipt. No good for trips, camping, or the inevitable stop at the grocery store on the way home from Church. So the Pilot is out.

The Suburban seats 8, but it's made by GM. I like my cars to actually run without monthly trips to the mechanic, so GM products are out, too. Ditto Ford, Mazda, Chrysler/Dodge. I also like my cars to last more than 5 years, so that rules out lots of other folks too.

How about the Honda Odyssey? The newer models (2004+) have an optional 8th seat, but it's teensy-weensy. If Sam continued in his current practice of not eating anything at all at any time, he might be able to sit in that tiny seat for another two years. So, Odyssey is out. And there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.

So that really just leaves the Toyota Sienna, which started seating 8 folks, as an optional package, with the 2004 models. This is probably what we'll do.

In a year. When and if we actually need it.

You see, I browsed Consumer Reports, joined online chat groups about family cars, and called Toyota and Honda dealerships to get info about a car that I might need. One year in advance. Just in case.

Lest you worry about the state of my psychological well-being, I'd like to note that I did the same thing each time I found out we were pregnant. And it usually worked out fine. Except this time I've got even more time, so I won't feel as rushed. That extra 3 months or more will really help.

5 comments:

Becki said...

Actually, I think that's a good idea - to check things out WAY in advance. Just like DOING things WAY in advance. Just seems like it makes a lot of sense.

fiorinda said...

Brian and Lisa just got an Expedition. They have two foster children right now, a baby who is 6 months old and his brother, who is 2.5. I think they are liking it so far. We'll be praying for you guys.

Anonymous said...

We looked at the 8 passenger Sienna and really liked it , but the monthly payments were to high. The only one they had used was an 06 with 35000 miles on it. The expedition is really nice but I am having anxiety attacks just thinking about having to try to park it. At least I avoided the 15 passenger van for a little while longer!!

I'd love to talk to you guys about your experience with Bethany. I'm thinking about trying to foster through them.

We'll definitely be praying for you.


BECAUSE I SAID SO

Scott said...

So the Expidition seats 8? Is there any cargo room behind the third row? Because this will be the "go to Disneyworld" transportation device (granted, my parents have to sell their business to be able to take us, but still . . . ).

Still, that's good to know. I miss the Excursion, which they stopped making a few years ago. I don't think I could have driven one, but parking at the extreme end of the parking lot would have given me much-needed excercise (walking through a crowded lot with 6 kids can really get your heart rate up).

I just liked the fact that these behemoths were out there. Take that, Al Gore.

As for Bethany and Foster Care, we'll be more than happy to talk with y'all about it. I think it's our turn to come up and wreck your house. We'll call you to set it up, but it'll probably be better to have that conversation after we've been to more than one meeting.

Anonymous said...

I am very excited that you guys are embarking on this adventure. Our family is smaller so the Pilot works well for us. It does accomodate 3 carseats across the middle row and two in the back (as I discovered today). Plus it has a roof rack for your luggage-or additional pizzas.

Fostering is an amazing experience (pay attention in class-you'll need that stuff). We will pray that you get to meet your new daughter soon.

erin white